Jul 31, 2012

Splurge or Save: BB Creams (Smashbox vs. Garnier)

BB creams are HUGE right now. BB creams are essentially tinted moisturizers with skincare ingredients in. I've always been more of a tinted moisturizer girl, saving foundation for when I go out, so I obviously jumped on the BB cream band wagon immediately. Tinted moisturizer (essentially) that's good for your skin! What's not to love? 

Now, on to the reviews:

Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 - $39

BB Cream, Makeup, beauty, smashbox
Image from: here
Buy it Here - $39.00
Try it Here - $19.50
I got this BB Cream because I've heard such great things about it from other people, but, honestly, I don't think it lives up to the hype. Maybe it's just my skin, but it looked chalky when it went on and it made my skin look dull and tired
I also couldn't find a color that worked for my skin tone. I'm fair skinned with freckles that multiply during the summer (that's the closest I get to a tan). I tried the BB cream in light, because it looked like the right shade in the store, but when I actually had it on for a while, it oxidized and looked WAY too orange. I went back and tried it in fair, but I looked dead with that one on.
Needless to say this isn't my favorite BB cream ever, but it does have some redeeming qualities. First of all, the fact that it has SPF 35 is awesome, because protection from the sun is really important. It also does give really good coverage for what it is, and I know a lot of people love it for this reason. That could be one of the reasons I'm being so hard on it, as I don't typically like a lot of coverage during the day, but it may be worth looking at for those of you who do like more coverage. Finally, it comes in five different shades (Fair, Light, Light Medium, Medium and Dark), which is better than Garnier's shade selection.


bb cream, affordable, drugstore, skincare
Image from: here
Buy it Here

Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream -  $12


Ok. I love this BB Cream. First of all, it smells amazing, which isn't a make or break thing for me, but its always good to love the smell of what you're putting on your face. 
What I love most about this BB cream is how natural it looks. It gives just enough coverage to even out your skin tone, but not so much that it looks like you're wearing a lot of make up. It glides onto your skin very smoothly and gives a really pretty glowing finish. (warning: I do not have oily skin, and I'm not entirely sure if it would work as well on oily skin)
There are a few downsides: First of all, I wish it had a higher SPF, but 15 is better than nothing. Secondly, it only comes in two shades from what I know (Light/Medium and Medium/Deep) and, while the Light/Medium works perfectly for my skin tone right now, I'm afraid it's going to be too dark in the winter. Over all I like this product much better than the Smashbox one though. 



And so, the Splurge or Save consensus is....

SAVE!!

The less expensive brand wins this one. There is no need to spend the extra money!